Join the Sligo LEADER Mailing List for regular updates!
County Sligo is one of 12 areas selected nationally for operating a scheme for the development of Rural Recreation. The scheme is administered by Sligo LEADER Partnership on behalf of the Department of Rural and Community Development, who fund the employment of a Rural Recreation Officer for Sligo.
The Rural Recreation Officer works with community groups and small business enterprises to help them to access advice, support and funding for the development and improvement of recreational projects, activity tourism and related infrastructure.
The responsibilities of the Rural Recreation Officer include:
- Carrying out of the National Countryside Recreation strategy
- Management of the Walks Scheme
- Overseeing work on the general upkeep, upgrade and rerouting of trails
- Assisting Fáilte Ireland in the development, marketing and promotion of trails and key walking destinations, including media and trade visits
- Working with local communities in developing trails and assisting in organising walking festivals
- Assisting with the implementation of the ‘Leave No Trace’ initiative
- Promoting and encouraging the development, delivery and improvement of recreational projects, infrastructure and activities
Find out more
Tel: 087 2431942
Department of Rural and Community Development